Plastic grocery bags, carrying bags, and shopping bags are all variations of plastic bags used for shopping. Due to the variety of shapes and types of bags that fall under the umbrella of plastic shopping bags, the category is ripe for interpretation. Like everything else, each style is intended to work better in some situations than others and may even be ineffective in those for which they were not intended. Read More…
Action BagsBensenville, IL | 800-490-8830
Action Bags is the industry leader in reclosable zip and custom packaging for over 40 years. We stock over 500 different plastic bag styles to meet our customer’s needs across all industries regardless of its use. We are your go-to product experts for any custom bags to incorporate branding, sizes, or product features that you do not see in our stock offering. Contact our excellent customer...$$$
Custom Poly PackagingFort Wayne, IN | 800-548-6603
Custom Poly Packaging provides unique, private label or personalized plastic bags. We are primarily a wholesale source for custom plastic bags and flexible packaging.$$$
Diversified Plastics & Packaging, Inc.Sumter, SC | 800-959-1337
Diversified Plastics & Packaging supplies plastic bags for many industries. We deliver prompt service, competitive prices & unparalleled variety in flexible packaging. Fast quotes, free samples when needed, custom made poly bags and stock items of any color and size. Industrial, textile, medical, small & large flexible packaging markets. Visit our website today.$$$
Champion PlasticsClifton, NJ | 800-526-1230
Champion Plastics is an extruder of all bags in every size, gauge and color for any need. Industries served include food, pharmaceutical, chemical, industrial, waste removal, service and retail.$$$
The Buckeye Bag CompanyDelaware, OH | 888-312-6446
We’re NUTS about plastic bags! Buckeye Bag offers incredibly low prices on a wide selection of commercial quantity industrial plastic bags. Order securely from our online stock product catalog or request a fast, custom quote.$$$
bagbarn.comMadison, IN | 800-720-1215
Plastic bags and sheeting custom made for industrial, retail and promotional applications. Materials include LDPE, LLDPE, HDPE, and polypropylene. Custom printing up to 6 colors. Bagbarn.com manufactures products that include bags on rolls, wickets, cut bags, retail bags and more. Promotional bags are available for trade shows & other events as well as environment friendly biodegradable bags.$$$
Universal Plastic Bag Manufacturing Co.Ontario, CA | 800-750-2247
For over 20 years, Universal Plastic Bag has been a leading manufacturer and distributor of plastic bags and packaging supplies. We manufacture gusseted bags, food and fish bags, garment bags, reclosable bags, plastic bags, trash can liners, full color process printing on (poly and poly propylene) bags and sheeting, laminated bag and sheeting, vacuum pouches and standup pouches! Whatever your...$$$
Connover PackagingEast Rochester, NY | 800-770-4906
Connover Packaging is your single source for all of your plastic bag needs. With over 30 years of experience, we are industry experts. Our highly skilled team works alongside our customers through all steps of the process to ensure that our products fit their specifications. Connover Packaging offers a wide selection of a variety of plastic bag styles and customization to ensure all of your needs ...$$$
Associated BagMilwaukee, WI | 800-926-6100
Family-owned for over 75 years, we've been known for our outstanding customer service, a reputation we've earned by always treating customers the way we would like to be treated.$$$
Plastic Shopping Bags Manufacturers List
How Plastic Shopping Bags are Made
The initial stage in producing plastic bags is extracting the raw material. Polyethylene can be produced using either refined oil or natural gas that has been fractured. These hydrocarbons must be accessed and extracted using drilling wells because they are underground.
Then, a refinery receives the refined oil or cracked natural gas. Petroleum is divided into different densities at the refinery. This enables the extraction of the oil needed for the production of polymers. To ensure that only pure polyethylene chains are separated, the gas or oil is compressed and heated. These chains must be separated for them to be polymerized into resin pellets made entirely of plastic.
Resin pellets with various densities will be created using a range of pressure and heat levels, and they can be utilized for everything from grocery bags to plastic shopping bags. For instance, high-density polyethylene is frequently used to make shopping bags because it has better tensile strength than low-density polyethylene (LDPE) or linear low-density polyethylene plastic films (LLDPE).
Making raw pellets is done by the process of plastic film extrusion. Raw LDPE, HDPE, or LLDPE plastic pellets must be pressurized and heated to extreme temperatures to produce a uniform molten liquid. The resin is pressed onto a circular die after producing the liquid.
The hot resin is then blown upward or outward to form a long, thin balloon of extremely malleable plastic film. The plastic bubble condenses as it continues to expand, and as it comes into contact with many rollers, it is stretched into very thin sheets that will serve as the bag walls. The sheets are loaded into the printing device on two separate flat beds after being coiled up.
In the last phase, the two printed sheets are first pressed together to form the bag's sides. Depending on the application of the bag, the plastic can be twisted and cut to the best shape. Perforations and other extra adjustments can be applied here.
Advantages of Plastic Shopping Bags
- Studies comparing plastic and paper shopping bags have shown that plastic bags have less impact on the environment than paper bags, take less energy to create, and are easier to transport and recycle. However, the ingredients and manufacturing process used to make a plastic bag will determine whether it may be recycled.
- Furthermore, studies showed that plastic bag recycling rates are far lower than paper bag recycling rates. Additionally, plastic bags, particularly the bigger ones, can be utilized as trash or recycling bags.
- Plastic bags, as opposed to paper bags, are water-proofed, making them impervious to water. They will therefore guard whatever you keep in them as a result.
- Additionally, they can block off oxygen thanks to their natural makeup. This function is quite helpful because it allows you to wrap them around food items to store them for longer.
- They are effective electrical insulators, and to round off their advantages, making them does not hurt the environment in the same way as making paper bags does, which requires cutting down trees.
Disadvantages of Plastic Shopping Bags
- Small children are at risk of suffocation in plastic bags if they are not kept away from them.
- Most plastic bags are flammable, especially those composed of polymers. As a result, they burn easily when they come into contact with a heat source.
- These bags also contain PE or PP, which releases CO gas when burned at a low temperature. CO gas is a dangerous gas with no color or smell. Make sure to keep your plastic bags away from any potential fires as a result.
- Some plastic bags contain compounds that harm the environment and human health. Some even break down and release toxic metals into the ground.
- Last but not least, plastic bags can break, especially if they are carrying something heavy.
Choosing the Correct Plastic Shopping Bag Supplier
To ensure you have the most positive outcome when purchasing plastic shopping bags from a plastic shopping bag supplier, it is important to compare several companies using our directory of plastic shopping bag suppliers. Each plastic shopping bag supplier has a business profile page highlighting their areas of experience and capabilities, along with a contact form to directly communicate with the supplier for more information or request a quote. Review each plastic shopping bag business website using our proprietary website previewer to quickly learn what each company specializes in. Then, use our simple RFQ form to contact multiple plastic shopping bag companies with the same form.